The MES Engineer is responsible for the design and engineering of project-specific Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) for clients primarily in the pharmaceutical and biotech industry.
- Work effectively at different levels within project teams, client organizations and sales;
- Leverage software skills and experience to define client requirements;
- Define functional requirements through client interviews and documentation analysis for various interfaces between Syncade and various other systems;
- Develop detailed designs and implement complex MES (Syncade) solutions, both Hardware and Software, that meet client requirements;
- Work with an experienced software engineering team to deliver assigned areas of Manufacturing Execution System (MES) solutions using both custom-developed software applications and configured products;
- Design, implement and test interfaces between Syncade and various other systems like LIMS or SAP;
- Interfacing of the project environment with the corporate and customer IT network and security environment;
- Installation and set up of MES-specific computer systems, incl. PCs, server, network and other HW products (like weigh scales, barcode scanner, etc.) required for the specific MES systems;
- Installation and commissioning of MES software applications including commercial products and internally developed applications, in-house and at customer site;
- Manage allocation of license keys, installation of software upgrades and patches for MES systems;
- Assist customer with troubleshooting application problems including liaison with internal Technical Support;
- Interfaces and coordinates technical issues relating to the project with the project team, internal and external clients as required for the successful execution of the project;
- Responsible for the technical correctness of the software and the associated technical documentation;
- Responsible for visiting client sites and performing design studies, acceptance tests, commissioning and training;
- Develop documentation required for validated facilities;
- Assist the sales organization in demonstrations, presentations and engineering estimates.
- Technical Degree e.g. Computer Science, Chemical Engineering or Control System Engineering;
- Knowledge of some, preferably all, of the following elements: Control system software system design, Control system software engineering in particular with Batch and Recipe applications, software implementation and software testing;
- Experience in a related process industry such as Biotech/Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Food and Beverage and involvement in MES project execution (requirements analysis, design definition, software development and solutions implementation);
- Working experience in FDA regulated industries; knowledge of cGMP, 21 CFR part11 and validation;
- Preferably knowledge and experience with MES systems (e.g. Syncade, Rockwell ProPack Data, Werum PAS-X, POMSnet);
- Knowledge and experience with ERP interfacing (e.g. SAP, Oracle), SQL Server, active directory, DNS, IP networks and virtualization is a plus;
- Microsoft literate;
- Language skills: English – fluent (written and spoken); German – fluent (desired);
- Willingness to travel within Switzerland or to other world areas for training, assignments at customer sites if necessary up to 50% of the time (e.g. Germany and Switzerland), this requires a valid car driving license;
At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher.
As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets.
Our Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure.
Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $17.4 billion in sales, more than 20 Innovation, Solutions & Engineering Centers, and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers.
Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.