Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and join a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of more than $40 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and chances to create significant contributions to the world.
This position will be the primary point of contact for trade compliance topics at the Bremen site. The role will report directly to the GTC Divisional Senior Manager with a dotted line to the Managing Director of the business. Working from remote (Germany) is possible, too with the willingness to be at the Bremen site a few days a month.Senior Manager, Trade Compliance (m/f/d)
Loction: BremenDiscover Impactful Work:
Develop and implement global standards for export controls, customs and sanctions compliance, with responsibility for standardizing, improving, and coordinating activities and acting as the primary company liaison with the customs and export control authorities in Germany.A day in the Life:
Keys to Success:
- Drive trade compliance excellence across the site as defined by adherence to applicable EU, U.S., and local laws and regulations pertaining to international trade as well as ensuring compliance with Thermo Fisher Scientific corporate, divisional and local policies.
- Act as the direct point of escalation for GTC risks and concerns identified by personnel at the business. Review and approve individual transactions, or escalate accordingly, based on global standards.
- Implement the Thermo Fisher Global Trade Compliance Strategic Solution software at the factory as part of a division-wide automation initiative (“GTC Connect”).
- Develop efficient, effective and appropriate work procedures to support compliance with applicable import and export regulations and corporate and local global trade compliance management systems, and supervise compliance with these internal requirements.
- Work within the business to identify and implement short term and long-term strategic cost savings strategies, e.g. FTA, tariff engineering, etc.
- Provide GTC leadership to the Bremen business and raise the overall level of knowledge and professionalism of GTC and related resources as well as leadership.
- Successful completion of the 2nd State Examination in Law with distinction or equivalent academic training.
- High compliance expertise in the field of foreign trade law
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 10+ years of professional experience in trade compliance management and in particular in export control (in an international commercial law firm, in an industrial company, a financial institution or an internationally active consulting firm would be an advantage).
- Deep knowledge of German, EU and US export control regulations, for example in the following areas: Multilateral export control regimes; EU Customs requirements, regimes, and simplifications; EU Customs procedures; US (re-) export legislation
- Solid understanding and experience in HTS and ECCN classification (EU and US)
- Proven track record of implementing and maintaining a reliable Internal Compliance Program, based on sound analysis and decision making
- In-depth experience with import and export control /customs audits and collaborating with government agencies (e.g. BAFA)
- Experienced in implementing a compliance software.
- Successful establishment and implementation of a comprehensive Technology Control Plan
- Experienced in auditing, risk assessment, and mitigation strategies
- Ability to prepare and communicate complex issues in a comprehensible manner
- Must possess excellent judgement and ability to work autonomously from established goals and strategic direction.
- Proficient in German. Strong English skills are a must.
- Possesses critical thinking skills
- Proven presentation, communications and influencing skills & can work with other countries and cultures.
- A strong collaborative leadership style with proven track record of motivating change across multiple organizational levels, functions, locations, and “dotted lines”.
- Must be able to cope with multiple priorities and ambiguity.
- Proficiency in ERPs (SAP) and relevant trade applications (e.g. Thomson Reuters, SAP GTS, AEB) preferred
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Then please apply here with your complete application documents, stating your salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date.
Please note that we are not interested in commercial placement offers from personnel service providers. If you decide to send us unsolicited application documents or to upload them, they will not be acknowledged and will be deleted in accordance with our data protection guidelines.